- Project Wahl Clipper Corporate Headquarters
- Location Sterling, Illinois
- Type of Precast CarbonCast High Performance Insulated Wall Panels
- Project Size 40,000 sq. ft.
- CarbonCast Surface Area 13,487 sq. ft.
- Architect Gary W. Anderson Architects
- Engineer Wendler Engineering Services Inc.
- Contractor Wilson Building & Remodeling
- Owner Wahl Clipper Corp.
- Precaster Mid-States Concrete Industries
When officials at Wahl Clipper Corp. in Sterling, Ill., decided to expand their headquarters building, they wanted to create a unified look. After all, they know the importance of appearance.
The company, an international manufacturer of products for the professional beauty and barber salon trade, consumer personal-care and animal-grooming markets, wanted to add 40,000 square feet on two floors that would butt up against the existing structure.
To achieve their goals, designers used thermally efficient CarbonCast High Performance Insulated Wall Panels, hollowcore plank and solid slabs. Interfacing with the multitude of glass sections proved challenging. The panels had to stay level when they were picked, so they could easily be connected to the frame.
As a finishing touch, a custom formliner was used to cast artwork that resembled the blades of a hair clipper into the top of the panels at each corner and the tops of the columns between windows.