Creative use of Graphic Concrete for school identity
- Project Maine West HS field house addition
- Location Des Plaines, Illinois
- Type of Precast Graphic Concrete
- CarbonCast Surface Area 40,103
- Architect Wight & Company
- Engineer Wight & Company
- Contractor Pepper Construction Company
- Precaster Mid-States Concrete Industries
When Wight and Company first contacted Mid-States about the Maine West field house addition, the project was planned as a precast structure with a metal cladding of athletic figures attached to the wall panels.
Representatives of the architectural firm were looking for the ability to add a design directly into the precast using the Graphic Concrete® process. The designers knew the image had to blend in with the rest of the precast building and the existing structure. Mid-States created multiple samples using different aggregates and dyes in order to provide the Wight team the options they needed to present to their client.
In addition to utilizing Graphic Concrete®, this project will also utilize form liners, sandblast finishes and Nawkaw stain. The Maine West project includes a large logo stretched across the entire North and South sides of the building using multiple colors.