- Project IBEW-NECA Renewable Energy Training Field
- Location Alsip, Illinois
- Type of Precast CarbonCast High Performance Insulated Wall Panels
- Project Size 5,000 sq. ft.
- CarbonCast Surface Area 6,315 sq. ft.
- Architect Legat Architects
- Engineer KJWW Engineering Consultants
- Contractor F.H. Paschen
- Owner IBEW-NECA Technical Institute
- Precaster Mid-States Concrete Industries
Officials at the Independent Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) and the National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA) in Illinois operate an educational center to keep contractors up to date.
Their most recent addition is a 5,000-square-foot building that introduces a more extensive array of clean-energy systems to learn about. It also offers courses in emerging technologies. In keeping with that philosophy, designers chose insulated precast concrete wall panels to clad the one-story, 30-foot-tall building.
The entry features ground-to-roof curtain wall with mullions that create the appearance of solar panels. The end of the building also comes to a point, as with an arrow pointing away. Forming and reinforcing the pieces in the triangular shape was a challenge, as was erecting it, especially the underside half. The lower panel was set into place and welded onto the first full vertical panel behind it. Then the upper portion was placed.