By using C-GRID® carbon fiber grid as a shear connector between the inner and outer wythes of concrete, CarbonCast High Performance Insulated Wall Panels from AltusGroup precasters deliver an exterior wall panel with full composite action and continuous insulation. Learn more and earn 1 AIA CEU/HSW with an AEC Daily online course.
CarbonCast High Performance Insulated Wall Panels are composed of two concrete wythes separated by continuous insulation (c.i.). With very low thermal conductivity, the high-strength C-GRID connectors help deliver a sandwich wall panel with insulation values up to R-37 depending on the thickness and type of foam insulation.
Continuous insulation helps you meet ASHRAE 90.1 requirements and, more importantly, save energy to heat and cool the building.
Full composite action
Extensive research has proven the outstanding load-bearing performance of CarbonCast High Performance Insulated Wall Panels. The C-GRID shear trusses can render a panel with full structural composite action.
For example, a panel with 4″ (102mm) of insulation between two 2″ (51mm) concrete wythes will behave structurally as if it were an 8″ (203mm) solid panel.
Additional features and benefits
- Energy efficient and lighter in weight. They use less concrete and more insulating foam to reduce energy use and lighten panels – and deliver superior insulation values for enhanced thermal efficiency.
- Superior at load bearing. Load-bearing vertical panels can eliminate the cost of perimeter columns and increase usable floor space.
- Dry, mold-free and non-combustible. CarbonCast panels have no voids or cavities where air or water can combine to support mold and mildew growth. The inherent fire resistance of concrete provides additional peace of mind.
- Designed to deliver comfort. Very little sound is transmitted through the walls, limiting the intrusion of exterior noise. And the lack of cold spots provides a more comfortable environment.
- Pre-finished on the inside wall. They can be ready for paint or wall covering and are ultra-durable.
- Code compliant. They’ve received an evaluation report (ESR#2953) from ICC Evaluation Service (ICC-ES).
- Aesthetically versatile. Select from hundreds of pigments, aggregates, textures, surface treatments, formliners and embedded finishes like thin brick, medallions and tiles to meet nearly any design vision. Or create an iconic facade with our exclusive Graphic Concrete imaging technology.